Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Had a Good Day...wait a mintue Not So Fast!

Eden has been doing wonderful at school lately. No big crying fits, she's been getting through her transitions even if they are difficult, and talking a lot more. I am so glad she is getting to the point that picking her up doesn't cause me to worry about what went wrong today or how long she cried. Keeping with the wonderful streak we are on, when I picked up Eden this afternoon to take her to her first OT appointment, I was very happy to hear she had another wonderful day. She was happy and excited to go someplace new to play.

We got at the office a little early, so I let her play in the car for a little while. I decided to go into the waiting room with her about 15 minutes early. I walked in, checked in and told Eden to play with some toys. She was fine for about a minute or 2. She came over to me and pointed up and said, "Loud, Momma." I looked up and there was the fire alarm. She then preceded to take my hand and try and lead me out the door. I told her no, we need to stay to play here for a while. She started to cry and even panic. Trying some quick problem solving I decided it would be best to take her out and to the car to get her jacket that had a hood on it.

We went out to the car, she tried very hard to get me to put her in the car seat. I wouldn't and took her hand to take her back to the office. No way was that happening. I got as far as the picnic table in the front of the office. We sat there for a little while, I tried to distract her by looking at pictures on my cell phone. Every once in a while I would ask her if we could go in she would start crying and saying no. I finally convinced her to let me carry her in.

We did manage to get into the waiting room. Eden was crying and stressed out. The Occupational Therapist came out to get us right away. She asked if Eden wanted to go play she was still crying but said yes. We got in the room and she kept trying to run out of the room. We ended up closing the door and she just went into total panic mode. She was literally running around crying trying to find a way out. My only thought was to hold her and make it better but she didn't even want me to hold her. We just sat and after like 5 minutes she wanted to try the swing out. She calmed down the littlest bit and then went and sat in like a bean bag thing made with squares of foam. Within minutes, her eyes were rolling in the back of her head and she fell asleep. It was like she passed out. What had really happened was that she was so stressed once she calmed down the slightest bit her body shut down. She slept for the whole appointment.

The therapist and I got to talk at length about Eden's history and I explained some of the things that I've noticed. She has some ideas as to therapies. We are going to try music therapies, even some sensory diet strategies I haven't tried. We will be working together to make life easier for us all.

Eden didn't talk until at least 3 pm. She was fine the rest of the night. She even went to bed very well. Last time something like this happened, Eden went on her downward spiral for a couple of weeks. I'm going to do everything I can to prevent this from happening again. We'll see what tomorrow will bring for Ed at least, I have the day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment