Saturday, September 15, 2012

She's lost her eyes

I've wrote about Eden's eye contact once when I first started here. I can't remember the amount of Eden's eye contact as a baby or even a toddler. I do remember that she rarely looked at me when I called her name, it usually took 3 or 4 times for her to realize I wanted her to look at me. She always showed me things she wanted to see but when she did it was a little different, she never looked in my direction when doing it. That all changed when she started pre-school. Like everything else she has been taught she really catches on quickly. She did such a wonderful  job at looking at people when addressing them. For a while it's been a non-issue for us. We had the small moments while in conversation that she would try and avoid eye contact but with a prompt she would look back at you without issue. But things have been a little different lately.

One thing I've noticed since Eden has started public school and not in a one on one setting, is that in close to two weeks her eye contact has gone from "most of the time" to "intermittent". This weekend, I attempted to help her through a conversation. She wanted to show me something, the whole thing lasted close to 30 seconds. She looked at me two times and it was just in passing as she was going from one side of my head to the other. It's the worst it's ever been!


She also didn't even attempt to look at me at all when I asked her to the other day while asking to go to the park with our BHP. That usually does the trick and reminds her even if it's just look my way. I offered for her to look at my lips or my eyes...just in my direction... nothing. I could have been on Mars and she wouldn't have known.

Should I be worried about this loss of eye contact? Is it just because of the transition to kindergarten? Or is it because she has had a lack of 1:1 help in school when someone is interacting with her? I do know she has an aide in her classroom and all but I also know that's not what they are there for.

So the question then becomes this...as a parent when I notice this what do I do about this? I'm not sure who exactly works on this or do we just ignore it and decide it's not on our top list of priorities? These are the questions I would like to know, but I think in the end I'll wait to talk about it. We have a meeting in October to review her goals and such, I may just be a pain and mention it there as well as other behavior goals I think they need to work on.

1 comment: