Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Gotta love update posts!

I thought I should just do an update on how things are going. There are a ton of things going on and I'll try to get to as much as I can before I'm off for another meeting later.

Well, I'll start with Eden's arm. If you didn't read my last post it's here. Eden broke her arm after falling off the arm of our chair a week ago Monday. We had to wait until her follow-up visit with the Orthopedic specialist to see if the bone had moved any. If it had she would have needed surgery to put a pin in it to keep it in place. Fortunately for us, it was within the limits that it needed to be for it to successfully heal. It looks scary but she was barely in pain and the next day if not for a doctors appointment she would have been in school.


 
My baby's poor elbow (the arrows show the where it's broken)














She has a cast from her arm pit to her fingers and it's bent at a 90 degrees. She's using her fingers now and has figured out how to pull her pants up and lift things by using her shoulder. It did slow her down for a few days (to which I was very thankful) but not too long. She should be in the cast for two more weeks and if the next x-ray comes back fine she'll have it taken off right before our big trip!
Her cast

School has been going fairly as expected. Her teacher and I spoke on Monday (hours before she broke her arm) and told me she was doing really well. They were still trying to figure out break times for her day. They've added in breaks and it's working really well. (That was last Monday). Eden has had some issues with staying on task and staying focused and on Tuesday when I picked her up I received this note.


The note was written by her teacher and the things with an "x" on it and a circle were the choices Eden had when her teacher and her wrote the note to me on why/how she broke her glasses. The words were the words she chose to best describe what happened. I love this method that way Eden has the choice to say what happened.

She has progressively more and more defiant in the classroom and in therapies. We have a meeting scheduled in a couple of weeks to see how things are working with the current plan. Let's hope we can figure this out sooner rather than later. I've talked with her Spec Ed teacher, regular Ed teacher and caught her OT on Tuesday to check in with her. I'm not one to wait to see how things are going.

Home life has been hit or miss. Eden has been typically annoying her older sisters just like any other little sister should. Dinner time has been nothing short of awful. It's somewhat our fault as we had not been as rigid about sitting at the table for dinner as we needed to be. Now dinners are lasting two hours, mostly with screaming, hitting and throwing food. We are working on changing that. I've had a ton of trouble getting her to attend to any task and it seems like she is having trouble keeping her body still and focusing. (We have included independent tasks for a new in-home support goal) I'm hoping this is all a product of the kindergarten transition. We'll see.

Last thing to update is our trip. We have been planning a trip to Disney World in Florida. This trip has been 2 years in the making, there are 14 of us going (7 adults and 7 children) and it's the first vacation our family has ever taken together. The girls have never been in an airplane or to Disney before. We will be leaving in less than a month and are very excited. We've had lots of time to plan and can't wait. I hope to share pictures and stories of our wonderful trip when we come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment