Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Kitchen's turn for the purdge

The last couple of posts have been about our family and how we are starting the process of going gluten free. This is not some choice that we made to try and change Eden's behaviors or to help her Autism, she has recently been diagnosed with Celiac's Disease (check here for more info or go to google and do some research, there is a ton of info about this disease), it's an autoimmune disease where if someone eats gluten it can result in intestinal damage. I thought I'd get this out of the way, and mention that I was never on the gluten free band wagon...ever. But when it comes to my daughter's health, you do what you gotta do.

So anyways, 

I've been going through my kitchen since now we have eliminated or separated all the items with gluten in our house. I'm going to share a list. This list should speak for itself and I'll explain why. 

plastic mixing bowls
serving bowls
food storage containers
measuring cups
measuring spoons
plastic spoons and spatula
bake ware: cookie sheets, cake pans, cupcake tins
electric mixer
toaster
stove top pans (non-stick or scratched ones)
colander 
cutting boards
electric griddle
electric skillet
bundt pan
pizza stone
any other stoneware
cooling racks for cookies
wok
rolling pin
big 12 qt stock pot
broiling pan
cookie cutters
bread machine
knives (or just my wooden knife block) this has to be kept where Eden can't reach still

I have to try and clean the microwave to get all the contaminated surfaces clean but it's a convection/microwave so we'll see.

This list is the list of things I need to replace in my kitchen and this does not count the things I need to decontaminate so that the gluten enzyme does not get into her system to cause damage. These things are things that can't be decontaminated and to keep our kitchen gluten free need to be replaced by purchasing new or going without. 

Oh and I also have to clean the oven and the fridge...

No comments:

Post a Comment