We've had an interesting weekend with Eden. Sometimes I just wish it was easier. I understand, like I've always said that I know it's not her fault, but here is a recap of the past couple of weeks.
I finally got a call from CDS, they had an opening in one of the preschools and I went to see it. It seemed like a great match for Eden. The class size is small, like 6 kids in all, and there are 2 teachers there at all times. The teachers all have Special Ed degrees and are familiar with a lot of different disabilities. They were very nice and the Head Teacher was very knowledgeable. They were willing to work with Eden on potty training, food textures, they have some sensory areas that the children can try and touch new things, and they have a day-care down stairs with "typically- developing" children that play with the children in the development center, so they have a model as to how to do things.
Eden had 3 days of school before vacation. The first day was, as to be expected. She had some trouble with the rules and sitting at circle time. Second day, was a little better and Eden went to school with no diaper on. She did really well, and listened well. The head teacher tried a deep pressure therapy technique on her, and it was like night and day. She sat at circle time the whole time and listened so well. Her teachers were very impressed on how well this worked. It helped her relax and listen better. The third day, Eden did well too. She is getting the hang of it. The teachers told me it was like she has been in the class for a lot longer than 3 days.
Then came Friday...
I decided that I should go shopping for Carly's birthday while she was at school. Eden and I packed our things and went to the mall. Eden was over-stimulated very quickly. We were in the store maybe 10 minutes or even less, Eden started running through the store, clothing racks, she wouldn't come to me when I called her. I had my mother, sister and niece there to help me also and she still wasn't listening. At times, she was on the other side of the store as I was trying to chase her. First, it was so embarrassing, and then I was so frustrated. All I wanted to do was get some shopping done. I finally caught up to her, I took her by the arm and she started screaming, hitting and trying to bite me. I picked her up and took her screaming and kicking to the car. When I got her into her seat, she said, "Thank you Mama." Just like that, she stopped crying and never fussed a bit on our way home. I called my husband all upset because I was so frustrated. I wanted to just go home and cry.
The next two days were more of the same. We couldn't go anywhere because she was just so off the wall. She would not listen, it seemed like her "Eden Meter" (That's what we call Edens level of stress it rises and falls like a gas gauge) was stuck on High. She had been so "Off the Wall" the past couple of day that on Sunday she fell asleep on the couch and we couldn't wake her up for dinner, we did manage to get her up for an hour or two before she went back to bed for the night. She managed to sleep until 7:30 the next morning.
Today was not much different. Eden kept running outside on me. We went grocery shopping, the three girls and I. We got to the store a little later than I usually take Eden and we had the other girls with us. A recipe for disaster, I know. We got there and Eden ran off every which-way and I went off "trying" to catch her. Then Eden would scream her fool head off when I put her in the cart, so I could finish shopping. Needless to say, Eden didn't get any treats that she would normally get when we went shopping.
We came home put the groceries away, and played for a while. Then I got everyone ready to go to Eden's OT Evaluation which was at 1pm. I went to get everyone in the car, and Eden tried to help by unlocking the doors. Instead, she locked them, and my purse and keys along with it. There I was 3 kids, a locked car and house, and no cell phone. Good thing my house is easy to break into. I did manage to get into the house and make a couple of frantic calls for help. My husband the savior to the rescue. He came and unlocked the door and took off like the super hero he is.
Eden's OT Evaluation was not unexpected. After the evaluator did most of her testing and discussing Eden with me. She told me Eden is right on the edge of what may qualify her for services through CDS. Mostly, her OT needs are outside CDS's qualifications. CDS is a part of the Department of Education; therefore, they don't pay for services that are not directly involved with the learning process and ability of the child to learn. The nature of Eden's disabilities are along the lines of Sensory Processing Disorder and is not covered by CDS.
The Evaluator also told me to strongly consider getting an appropriate OT Evaluation. That specifically tests for this disorder. She gave me some books with information on how to deal with children with this disorder and also she gave me names of places that have people certified to test Eden in this specific area. She was very helpful and willing to help with any questions I had. I do have to say that all of the wonderful and helpful people I've met during this process has really given me strength that things will get better. I'm sure these people love their jobs, and I appreciate their hard work.
Eden has one more appointment this week, it's with Dr. Rock. She will be helping in the evaluation process by giving us a medical evaluation and hopefully some answers on what is going on with Eden. I've learned in this process not to jump to conclusions and just to listen, take it in, and then research. I will be doing my homework and making sure I AM a good advocate for my daughter. We will be figuring this out.
I am so lucky, I have a great network of friends and family. I am using all the information everyone gives me and using it as tools toward making Eden's life as fulfilling as I can. She is so much fun and so different from my other children. I look at this whole thing as an adventure, and I'm ready!
No comments:
Post a Comment