Sunday, February 20, 2011

Have you ever wondered?

I've been questioning myself a lot lately. It's been a very rough week to start with and to top it all of I'm not "questioning" my choice of school, but there are certain things and ways the school does things or reacts to things that I say to them that makes me just say, "WTF?"

Yes, I know it's going to be a full moon tomorrow, but seriously is that the best explanation that you can give me as to why I've had the worst week ever. My older girls won't stop aggravating each other or even getting on my nerves. Anything stressful that would happen has  happened if it's car trouble or money. Eden has had tantrums (I'm not calling them temper-tantrums for reasons I'll get into later) every day at school, having increasing violence toward me, her sisters, my in home support, and even teachers. She is eating "everything" that isn't food. We have caught her eating paper, cardboard, socks, lint, and even a towel. Every time we have gone to go anywhere, it has taken me at least 20 minutes to get Eden to her jacket. I'm not talking like an argument or she isn't listening and ignoring me. It's me trying to catch her, and as she is freaking out I have to avoid being hit and bit until I drag her to the room where her jacket is. UGH I'm not always mentally prepared for these days and especially these weeks. I'm so happy though that through this week my family and friends have been supporting me. It's wonderful to know that the most important people of my life are always a phone call away.

As for school, Eden has in the last 3 weeks had 2 very good weeks and one "up and down" week (more down then up). I met with her teachers last week about how things were going with her at school, it had been a very good week but at home Eden had been getting increasingly violent with me and the BHP at the house. I have had a close working relationship with her teachers and it seems lately that they are less willing to work. (I'm not sure if that is the best way to explain it) As Eden has been growing more and more violent with us, I've been talking to her teachers and when I ask if she has done this at school they say she has actually gotten better, but still has violent moments when she is being told to follow through or when she is unwilling to move on. I asked how they are dealing with it and they said they tried a couple of things. First it was using positive reinforcements to get her to do what is needed and that didn't work (doesn't work for me either just and FYI). They have tried to ignore her and not give her attention when she is doing this and it seems to work.

They lead me to believe that when she is doing this stuff at home I should just ignore her, move on, and still make her follow through. I have tried this, and when I do it and when I have more than 15 mins to get to my next appointment. It doesn't work. I've been working with my BHP at home and when I have told her what they suggested she said, isn't that what we are doing? LOL Yeah, it is. They also gave me the impression that they think I...let her get away with too much. I actually believe completely different. I don't let her get away with anything. I am however aware that when she is over-whelmed and needs time to calm herself I give her the chance and that is only after she gets what she needs to get done. I don't understand how it can be that they think these things it just confuses me.

Another thing she is doing at home and not at school is eating things. It's not just me that see's these things. Everyone at my house has, including my BHP which found it kind of disturbing when Eden ran across the living room just to take a piece of lint off my sweater and eat it before I could get it out of her mouth. She has destroyed a towel by pulling the loops out with her teeth. She finds random pieces of cardboard and starts to eat it and will not stop and even tries to hide it when I catch her. I try to redirect with food, gum or chewies (chewy tubes), and when she has a chewy she almost looks like a wild animal ripping apart a meal. She gets her hands and body into it. She doesn't do gum that often, I just don't thing she likes having a flavor, and food has always been a touchy subject. I did bring this issue to the teachers to ask for advice and they looked at me like I had 3 heads and say, "Wow, she never does that here?" They really must think I'm crazy, everything she does at home she doesn't do at school? This is the things I wonder about. I don't know why but I just do.

No comments:

Post a Comment