Friday, May 27, 2011

Summer is coming!

It's finally warm enough to enjoy being outside. I love this time of year. I really could do without the bugs and such but even that isn't enough to keep me out of the sun. The end of the school year, is never technically the end of the school year when you have a child in a special needs preschool. So we are preparing for a very busy summer, and not a lot of time off of school.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that I have the opportunity to send my daughter to a place where there is structure and where she can learn her skills all summer long, but I do admit the thought of the school taking 2 weeks off this summer is kind of daunting. Because we have Medicaid for Eden, we do not have to go through the school system(CDS) for her summer services. She will still go 5 days a week, get her speech 2 times a week, but OT was another question. As I was going through the services she was going to get, I couldn't imagine that we would be able to get away with a "medically necessary" hours of OT beyond what I am already getting through my insurance. So I tried the long shot, CDS. The teachers had explained that if we weren't going to use CDS for summer services that it was very unlikely that Eden would be getting OT or speech from them. I was willing to try, after all the issues we had getting her OT in the first place.

I started by asking, they gave me the whole proof of regression bit. Then I explained that she didn't receive the services that she was supposed to get in the fall. They came back trying to tell me she wasn't supposed to get OT just a consultation, but it was in her plan the spring before. We eventually figured out that Eden hadn't been getting OT because it was put in the system wrong. She did the whole gotta talk to my supervisor thing and called me the next day. She apologized for the mistake which really that's all it was. The system is confusing enough for the people who know it let alone when things get all switched up like it had been last summer.

To make up for some of the lost sessions she will be getting OT through her school 2 hours a week, and CDS will pay for it. That means during the summer she will be getting 3 hours a week, the third hour being paid for by my insurance company.  She also told me that we will revisit how many hours she needs in the fall making sure we don't have any more issues. See? I love it when a plan comes together. It's a beautiful thing. I got what I needed and more. No arguing, just facts, and really happy that everyone agreed. I know it's not always going to be this easy and nice for me to get what Eden needs but I love being informed.

Eden is all set for the summer now. Carly and Tanya are all set as well. They have their church camp and we have lots of fun things planned. Lots of family time and even some me time! I'm planning on spending a weekend with my mom, away from kids. It will be so very fun. Starting with Memorial Day, LET SUMMER BEGIN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment