Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Puzzles

Eden has always been a big fan of puzzles. Ever since she was very little she showed a surprising aptitude for them. I personally am a puzzle fan myself, so it's not a far stretch that she likes them as well. When she was just little and in her first preschool she was constantly playing with them.

I started buying puzzles when she was 3 and started with the "match the picture" 6 or 8 piece puzzles. It is amazing how she loved to do them over and over again. We graduated to the puzzles that have interlocking pieces in short order. It was amazing to see her do a quiet activity and actually sit and attend to a task.

We tried to get Eden to play with the cardboard pieces for a while (instead of the big wooden puzzles). It didn't last long, because the puzzles were cardboard they were easily bent if Eden put too much pressure on the pieces and once they were bent she could see they were made of paper and for her that meant something yummy to chew.

The other problems were that she has lots of muscle tone issues and her fingers are not any different. She has other fine motor and motor planning issues as well. She has trouble figuring out that she needs to hold the puzzle pieces together with one hand and the other place the piece in the right place by manipulating it with her fingers. Her fingers tend to get tired easily which makes it even more frustrating for her. And then if someone is watching or trying to help most of the time it seems a little too overwhelming.Who knew so much went into putting a puzzle together. So, we just stuck to the wooden ones.

So, in order to keep her challenged with the puzzles we went out and bought 24, 32, and even 48 piece wooden puzzles. They are not cheap. I did manage to find a few at a consignment shop for a teeny bit of money as well as some super bear emotion ones for us to practice what certain emotions look like. Eden became a master at these as well. We are not sure exactly how puzzles gain her attention and how she can figure them out so fast, but it's truly an amazing thing.

Her first large puzzle was one of horses and the first time we gave it to her it took her about 20-25 minutes to put it together. She was almost 4. It amazed me that her brain works in a way that she must remember where the pieces go or something. I have a picture of it below and she still plays with this one. She put it together barely having to try where the pieces went. She needed little assistance, other than trying to figure out how manipulate the pieces.

Frolicking Horses Jigsaw Puzzle - 48 Pieces
This was Eden's first 48 piece puzzle 

Tonight was a little bit different for Eden. She found a cardboard puzzle (on her own), a small table (again on her own), dumped the puzzle out and flipped over all the pieces. All of these steps are things she couldn't do on her own even a couple of months ago. We've been teaching her how to gather her own play things, find a spot and that's just what we've recently taught her. It started with teaching her how to actually play, use her imagination, and follow through with "play skills" (where you actually play something without needing guidance which I think is going to be another blog all by itself) She sat there a minute and then asked for some help (that in itself is a HUGE thing for her). She didn't cry or do anything to get our attention in an inappropriate way. I then started to help her through the process of putting the puzzle together. Up until now, she's always had a definite border on puzzles to start with so I'm sure she was lost on what to do. 

First thing, sort the edge pieces, she loved that (She actually did the sorting twice after she finished the puzzle) Then find a starting point, there were words in the corner, so that seemed like an easy place to start. After that it was all about finding "clues" to the other pieces and matching the straight edge. We matched colors found faces and body parts (all things that the schools OT and my private OT are working on) Piece by piece we worked it was wonderful. We communicated well and talked through the difficult parts. The whole time she was doing this weird thing with her fingers even some other stims that I see when is stressed, but I think allowing her to do those things may have helped her get through it. She never left the table in frustration once (I don't think that has EVER happened).

Once we started though, there was no stopping this kid, she was on a mission. I was there to help her when the pieces came apart because she still is having some trouble using both hands to work on a project, but she held it together emotionally through out. I stepped back and waiting until she asked for help (because I know when she is concentrating words are so difficult for her to process), I kept my corrections or suggestions short 1 or 2 words so she wouldn't feel overwhelmed with words. We did have three or four groans when I thought she was going to give up or start freaking out with frustration, but we both held it together.We talked through it (Can you believe that?).

Proud Eden with her Tinkerbell puzzle!

It was a great experience that I don't get very often with her. We were just sitting, playing, even talking and there was no stress to be perfect or expectation on the game. It doesn't happen a lot with Eden with me, her initiating play with me in a structured activity. Sure, we have a few "things" we play and do together but none of it is planned  like playing with stuffed animals or me making up fictional stories (Where Eden is the main character)and then  she usually loses interest after 5 minutes or gets frustrated because I'm not doing it the same as one of her teachers, therapist or friends. 

Seeing the way we were at this time last year is such a change. Eden had a major panic attack in front of my whole church and I was just starting to find my way in this journey. (You can read about that wonderful church service here). It's been two years since her diagnosis, things are more positive than negative. We feel more prepared for things that are coming our way, and less surprised when they don't. We roll more with the punches and make things work no matter what. 

I am so proud of her for the work she does every day. I don't think people even get the slightest clue on how hard she has to work all the time. As a parent, I think that no matter what as long as I see her trying and keep doing what she needs to do that she will do amazing things. I know she's done amazing things for my whole family and the best is yet to come!

I am working on the kindergarten post that has been promised but it's one that has been a little hard for me to post because I'm still trying to figure out all that's going on. I do know it's coming and when I can get it finished, I'll post it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment