This is my 100th blog post. I've really enjoyed the therapeutic value this blog has been for me. It helps me work through tough days, figure out simple solutions to some not very simple behaviors, and helps me share the things I think may be helpful for other parents who may think they are alone on this journey. I've learned as a parent no matter what your situation is you are NEVER alone. There are all kinds of people going through some type of journey similar to yours.
I was thinking coming up on this mark I would reflect on how much progress we've made since my first post. There has been so many successes and some very difficult times. I have really tried to be a great advocate, teacher, therapist, trainer, and Mom that I can be and still keep my sanity. I have to admit that sometimes it's just too hard to stay sane. That's why I have my wonderful husband who takes the reigns when he needs to.
Today was supposed to be a low key day at our house. The older girls were spending time with my sister and it was just me and Eden. I thought it would be nice to get out of the house for a little bit. I had some running around to do and we hadn't been out in the world together in a while. I needed some stuff for the dog, pants for me and I needed a haircut.
We ventured into the store where I was going to get my haircut. They were closed and opened in 1/2 hour, so we went to grab a few things while we waited. She immediately wanted to get into the cart and of course I let her. We went about getting the things we needed and I got my haircut (keeping her in the cart) and then we left. She did so well. I was very impressed that she waited patiently in the cart and watched as they did my haircut. I still needed pants and couldn't find any there so we went to the car to go to another store.
When we got to the store, that one again wasn't open again (It's Sunday in Maine), but the pet store was open. We went into the pet store and it was super fun. We started looking at the little animals and such. Within 10 minutes or even less Eden started having "behaviors" She started running off, not wanting to stay with me, refusing to hold my hand, and I couldn't redirect her. I did eventually get her out of the store. I started a story and told her we had to leave the store to find out the rest. It worked!
We walked down the corridor toward the other store and she listened wonderfully. I knew that she has had issues in clothing stores before. I thought that she could handle 20 minutes in a store and I needed the pants for the next day. I think we were only in the store 10 minutes before she started running off again. This is where I wished I had the ladies with me to help. I tried giving her some room and let her roam a little. She ended up leaving the store! I was very thankful that it didn't lead into a parking lot because she would have been gone.
After a meltdown for about 10 minutes in the back of the store and chasing her around the clothing racks. I managed to catch her pick her up and ring out my purchase with a screaming crying child on my hip. Now, she's 5 and not that light (about 45 lbs) I was juggling her, my purse, and a bag getting her into the car. I was so done at this point. I tried to hold my composure and not leave. I was at the verge of tears for about a 1/2 and hour after.
Once home Eden was fine. Like nothing had happened, told me she loves me. We went into the house and she asked to play with me. It's so hard to forget these situations so quickly for me. I just don't get it why she can be two different people. Does anyone else feel this way? I love that child with all of my heart but sometimes it's so hard to do anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment