Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What's MY "normal?

That's a loaded question when it comes to my family. We've been floating on the verge of disaster day after day. At the end of the day, sometimes my husband and I will talk about our day. We try do determine if it was a good day or bad. Most of the time, no matter what has happened we decide as long as we are all together at the end of it; it's a good day.

This weekend was full of ups and downs. Carly and Tanya handled the busy weekend without incident and we even managed to spend some wonderful time together just the three of us. At the end of the evening Sunday night we had spent at least 9 hours at our church for events. They were very well behaved, sang beautifully, and really impressed me with their patience. I truly appreciate them and how they make my life better.

The ladies all went to Sunday school at church and things were buzzing because of the Festival of Trees. It's a wonderful event where local companies, non-profits, and the community get together to celebrate Christmas. They have events all week and the kids love to watch and join in whenever possible. It's one of the many reasons I love this time of year.

If I haven't mentioned it before we drive past at least 7 churches and drive about 25-30 minutes to our church. These people are more than just part of our church they have been an intricate part of our family. They have taken in our family and friends without question. They adore my children as their own and accept all of my children just as they are.

We were lighting the Advent candle for Peace at our church service that morning. Eden had been a little out of sorts because of all the things going on at church. We decided to take her to the nursery care instead of the service because she has a difficult time like all 5 year old children at church. Right before the "Family" lighting of the candle I decided to go get Eden. Thinking first, it's important for her to be included in the "family" part and second because we really shouldn't not do things with her just because we are afraid.

I brought her up. As soon as she could see everyone waiting in the church and she yelled in delight, "Oh Hello! I'm here!" ran up to where everyone was standing and gave the Pastor the biggest hug. I don't think there was anyone without a smile. We did the candle lighting and then as we were leaving she made sure she said goodbye to everyone and waved frantically as she walked down to the back of the church.

After church, we had a snack and waited for the next event. Eden doesn't like to wait, so Ed took her for a walk outside and around the church grounds. When it came time for the next event, Eden had a very difficult time even entering the church and Ed felt it would be better if he kept her in the car for a while longer. The car is a place Eden feels the most comfortable when she isn't home. She stayed there for about a 1/2 hour watching videos on Ed's laptop. After a while she told Ed, "I'm ready to go back in." She came in and did wonderfully for the few more minutes we were there.

See? This is our normal. Back up plans, missing certain events because she is over-whelmed, testing the waters when in comes to new experiences, and being brave parents. Bravery, I have decided is the ultimate strength I wish I had more of. Looking at the happiness on the faces that our friends from church had makes me so happy that I decided to be brave. To just let Eden be Eden (that's our favorite saying in our house), and she will always deliver!

2 comments:

  1. Lissa,
    I am glad you found me on Twitter and I subsequently found your blog. I love positive stories about children on the spectrum. Eden is lucky to have such a supportive family and church. Thank you for sharing your success.

    I wish I had understood my daughter when she was Eden's age. What a difference eleven years makes in available information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eden is a real joy for us. Of course, like our other kids she has her moments, but she makes me smile everyday. She has made me a better mom than I ever would have been without her. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete