I haven't had anything to write about in a while but recently I've been spending a lot more time on Twitter reading and contributing to hashtags #youmightbeanautismparentif and the new one #whatanautismparentneeds. I know a lot of my friends aren't on twitter so I've been sharing a few and recently suggested people to start reading the latter, in hopes maybe some people will start reading them and understand what they can do to help people in families very similar to ours.
I thought I'd share some of my thoughts about this and explain what I may need as an Autism parent in hopes that if you come across someone like me who has good days and bad with our children you can make us feel less alone and know what maybe more appropriate or not to help.
As a parent with a child who looks "normal" and even can act "normal" it's hard to understand why having Autism is such a big deal for parents. I do have great perspective when it comes to my daughter's functionality and understand that there are worse things out there. I do understand that some parents never get to hear their children talk, laugh or even smile. I am grateful for that and NEVER take it for granted. I also understand that my daughter isn't sick, and there are children in this world who fight for life everyday and I do actually pray for them every night.
In the terms of my daughter, the little trials and issues I have shared on this hashtag has been very helpful for me to connect with other moms, and reading the others I feel less alone in my journey. All of our journeys with this disorder are very different, but we can all understand each other and know that you won't be judged. They can be funny, sad, true about all children on different levels, but we are taking ownership of these. Here are a few examples.
I did not post any of those at all but totally understand where they are coming from. We all speak the same kind of language. We all feel alone, don't get me wrong, I have a lot of helpful family and the friends I call friends are very supportive and when I'm around them I feel like I'm at safe and don't have to act like I'm worried about how Eden's going to react to something or what happens if she starts to meltdown that they think it's just because I have a brat for a kid.
I urge you to go and look at some of these on Twitter, you will be amazed at how many of us are out there. We no longer feel alone in our little things. My next post will be on the other hashtag I mentioned before #whatanautismparentneeds.
No comments:
Post a Comment