These numbers do not surprise me or any other parent out there with a child with ASD. When we were first starting out with Eden's "delays", I had never even heard the word Autism before. Now I know it, say it, and am not afraid to talk about it. The "label" issue that parents throw around doesn't effect me either now. I know if I had heard this word and about the symptoms, things may have happened a little earlier but they still would have happened none the less.
I've also read in this same article that they actually have girls vs. boys statistics: Boys are still about five times more likely to be diagnosed with autism in the U.S. than girls, according to the CDC report. It estimated one in 54 boys have autism, while one in 252 girls do. This, frankly doesn't surprise me either. I know when I talk about Autism in general, every child is so very different. The distinct differences in symptoms presenting in girls vs boys actually makes it more difficult in diagnosing girls. I'm sure the numbers for girls will come up a little once we start having more awareness on how girls are different than boys (but I am also speaking from my personal difference that I notice with Eden compared to talking with mom's of boys).
I have to also mention that I think that some of our healthcare system may be in trouble but if doctors don't actually do testing, find out what their talking about they should NOT have the right to diagnose anyone. As for parents looking for a "government paycheck", yes I'm sure there are some of them out there as well, this thing call Autism isn't something I would wish on any parent. Just because of these parents, parents that actually care about their children's future are looked at like hypochondriacs or act like we are doing something bad to our children when we are just trying to find the best way they will fit into society when they get older by getting them the therapy they need now.
The only thing that still surprises me that if it were something different with these rates how would it be treated by our federal government? A friend of mine who usually throws a little perspective in my face with her Facebook status' asked if these were children going blind, deaf, or becoming paralyzed would there be more money trying to at least start to figure this out? Autism research receives less than 5% of national research dollars,
Therapy is going to cost more than $90 million dollars for these children and parents don't even get a clear cut answer as to what therapies work or don't work because there are very little studies done to actually figure things out on a long term basis. Also insurance companies (unless you are in one of those fortunate states where it's been required by law) cover little to none of the cost of therapies. When Eden got the diagnosis of Autism our doctor informed us there are "best practices" when it came to therapy. She suggested we get "state" help for medical insurance. She also told me that no one can really tell you what works best for your child but you. I'm sure that if there were some real peer reviewed research done, something so we at least have a starting page. I don't know.
| This is my 1 in 88! |
No matter what the news says about the "startling" new information coming out about Autism conveniently a few days before Autism Awareness Month. Just ask us parents, we already have been doing our research and this is not so startling as it may seem.
No comments:
Post a Comment