I think this is a very important question. I know some people are hell bent on finding reasons or causes for Autism, finding ways to prevent Autism, reducing the stigma associated with Autism and parents who have their children diagnosed (yes there are judgmental people out there who think that getting a diagnosis is not the right thing for your child), then there are people who just want others to understand how difficult it is, some people just want to spread the word about early detection and intervention, and you can have a mix of all of these. I will talk about a few today.
I do find it very difficult to actually talk about some of these subjects, I think that this community is so divided when it comes to causes and prevention. That I don't even find it worthwhile to even start discussing them. I'm not educated and there is so much biased information out there it's virtually impossible to pick through all the information to find things that are not just twisted to make their point. So, I steer clear of this. I only know about when Eden started showing signs and that's all I talk about. If we are talking about prevention I do believe we are back pedaling in time. Making an accusation that having a child on the spectrum was something a parent caused puts us right back to the "refrigerator mother" theory of the 50's and that's not helpful for anyone.
I also find it hard to believe although I'm sure it happens, that parents actually look for a diagnosis so they can get services, also I hate the idea that people don't like "labeling" their child. I didn't go looking for something wrong with my child, there was something different about her. Having this so called "label" actually was necessary to get her the services she needed. If this is a bad thing, I'm not sure you quite understand how much she's improved and how she wouldn't have received most of the services if I didn't have her diagnosed.
I am sure every year it switches for people, what they see as Autism Awareness. I know last year I was all about making sure everyone heard the word Autism. I was still so new to this adventure. I felt I was mostly alone, that no one knew what it was like. I thought that if I just let everyone know that she had Autism, all the embarrassing moments, the difficult times, the canceled play dates, and the fact that I didn't want to bring her anywhere would be excused. It was where I was in the process but didn't help. So many things have changed in a year.
This year is different, not because I don't think people should hear the word, but because I think it's been said...ALOT. I think people (well at least in my little corner of the world) understand that there is an increase in diagnosis. Almost everyone I have talked to either know someone... or has a friend who... or even has seen things on the news. I know now I am not alone, I have a wonderful network of friends (even if they are on social networks), a great support system with my family, an accepting community, and a wonderful team.
Honestly, I am on the platform of early intervention this year. Recognizing symptoms and getting what the child needs to make them and the parents more effective when it comes time for public school. With the new information out by the CDC (I linked the report just in case you want to read it.) There are a ton of people saying what they want about reasons for the increase in numbers. I say it's because they've heard the word, they are now just trying to figure out what it means.
Figuring out that your child is different is something every parent dreads, but with early interventions; a child who is on the spectrum has great promise. Parents can start earlier trying to navigate the maze of State systems, Federal laws and even throw some quality parent training in, we may actually feel like we are almost prepared for parts of this journey.
If they get the necessary therapies and supports they can become a contributing member of society. They may not actually need services for their whole lives. They will learn how to have a job, work, pay their bills and do things that everyone else does. I fully understand that all children on the spectrum have different levels of functioning, I get it. But there is still a meaningful quality of life out there for all children on the spectrum, but it needs to start with early intervention. Finding what they CAN do and making it work.
This is just my feeling how MY Autism Awareness is going to work this year. I'm sure next year I'll find another cause to talk about and as we go down the road I'm hoping that the community will not be so divided so we can start talking about more when it comes to how Autism works in our children's brain. I think that's the most important research that needs to be done.
No comments:
Post a Comment