Ed and I have been noticing more that Eden has issues with light. If we go to a store that has bright lights we have less time because she goes a little crazy. Normally we have about 1/2 to 45 minutes before Edens sensory meter gets to high, but that is just if the conditions are right.
For example, we went to a restaurant for lunch on Carly's birthday. We had not gone anywhere else that day and it was lunch there were 5 people in the whole restaurant. As we were sitting there I noticed Eden was a little on edge (this is where reading Eden comes into play, no small feat for anyone including me) She kept getting up from the table and asking to go to the bathroom (by the way, it's dark in the bathroom). I ordered her food, and made sure it was something she liked. She wouldn't eat. As things got a little crazy, Ed noticed that the light they had over the table, almost like a spotlight on the table; was shaking a little. It was the littlest vibration but on the table you could see it. Eden actually didn't finish her meal and Ed had to take her to the car before we could finish our meals. It's just one of those things, I wouldn't have even thought of.
On Thursday night, Eden got into our bathroom and was playing in one of our drawers. Apparently, there was a blade or a razor in there and Eden cut her finger on it. When Ed got her out of the bathroom, he ushered her into the living room. I looked at her and she had blood all over her hand. I wiped it up and found the little cut. I dressed it and we put her to bed. The next morning, it still had not stopped bleeding. That afternoon I took Eden to the minor emergency room. We went into the triage room, and then an exam room. Eden's meter was on high to start with because she had just got done with school. The doctor looked at her finger, then left. As she left to get the things she needed to wrap Eden's finger, Eden started hiding in the corner, crying and saying she wanted to leave. I was trying to think of things I could use as bribery to get her to let the doctor work on her hand, I had an idea. The doctor came in, Eden started crying worse, I asked the doctor if there was any way I could have the lights turned down. She said no problem. She turned off the huge light above our head's and left the little one by the door on. It was amazing. Eden came out of the corner. She stopped crying, and sat on my lap. She actually started laughing and smiling by the end of it. She didn't fight at all when she was putting this huge wrap on her hand and by the end of it her meter was on low.
Sitting in the car afterwards, I had a proud moment. It's one of the few times I have actually been able to read Eden and instead of just letting her have a fit or taking her out of the situation, I fixed it. I will be more proactive in looking at our surroundings when it comes to Eden. Until she starts getting the therapy she needs, I will do what I can to make her life easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment