Here is the news from the front. We have been trying to co-ordinate our insurance, CDS, Preschool, and medical doctors; to get all the services that Eden needs as soon as she needs them (which means now, if I can help it). And there have also been some new things come up as to Eden's schooling; which is a positive on our end.
First, I had sent out e-mails and phone calls to people we have worked with during this process to help me figure out what is next. I called Eden's Doctor and I received a call back that they only refer to CDS when it comes to speech referrals and they truly didn't have a clue as to what to do for Occupational Therapy (since she is still on a waiting list for both). The person at the Doctor's office suggested I talk to my insurance company to figure out what and who was covered for this.
So, I called my insurance company. I explained to the benefits coordinator from the insurance company what was going on and she had no clue how to help me (person #3 if you count my Doctor). She sent my case to yet another person that would be able to help me navigate the insurance company easier. When she called she asked me the normal questions Eden's age, height, weight, and some basic health questions. She asked me what services I was seeking and told her I would just like to supplement the services the state would be providing and to get her an Occupational Therapist before Fall. She asked me about the way Eden's Autism effects our life. I proceeded to explain that I have trouble taking her shopping, out to eat, taking her into any place is too stressful for her and we just want to have the tools to deal with these situations. I avoid having too many people in my house because she flips out when there is too much going on even at the house. I explained most of these things can be made better by having OT teach us how to help her sensory issues. She told me she would look into these things and get back to me later this week. We'll see, I also know that she is not the end all for my questions of coverage through the insurance company.
Next to better news. On Monday, I got a phone call from CDS. They have an opening at a preschool that exclusively deals(I hate that word but I can't think of a better one) with children that have Autism. They told me she would start in the Fall. They will be extending her hours of school for 5 days instead of 4. I was super excited. Then on Tuesday, I get another call, they also have a summer opening for this preschool, so she could attend all summer too. We have an appointment to look at the place on Tuesday. If this place is the place for Eden, I will be so excited.
I also got a call from the person who did Eden's speech evaluation in February. She is keeping an eye on where Eden is on the list for speech and she is moving up. She also has put a note in her file for the therapist that gets to work with Eden to talk to her so she can give some background that may help them in getting her to communicate. She also suggested I make an appointment with other Autism programs in the area to see how they work. Not to say the one I'm looking at isn't good, but just to compare strategies and to see the differences in style. I think I will take that advice after I at least look at this school, because I have nothing to compare the other too. I could still tell CDS I would like to change when there is an opening. I am never "stuck" in a program, I just need to make sure it's the best for her. And that's what it's all about!
No comments:
Post a Comment