Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Let's try something new

I have been at my wits end lately. I have been trying to get Eden to better understand right and wrong. It really has been a challenge for the whole family. I have been doing an experiment of sorts with Eden. First, I have been giving her gum. It sounds silly but one of my message boards that I read frequently suggested this for another kid as sensor therapy. It helps, it gives her something to think about and distracts her from all of the sounds, lights and stuff that usually overloads her. I always have a pack of gum ready.

Another thing I am trying is when she uses her words or even tries to let me know what she wants instead of whining or crying, if it is reasonable, I let her have it or do it. This has worked because now she knows instead of whining and crying, she needs to let me know what she wants and she may get it. I have been explaining more of what is going on when she is getting upset and giving her more reasons why she has to wait.

I also have been trying to not raise my voice with her. She stresses out more when I am loud. This too is making life easier. I just hope it keeps working. As time goes by, we are listening to her cues more.

Taking advantage of the fact she has figured out some of this on her own. Sometimes it isn't they way we want it but if we follow her lead and adapt it to what we expect it's getting better. Like when she comes up to me at the house and it is just us. I take the few minutes she needs and scratch her back, lately she wants me to put my arms around her and squeeze her, and help her figure out how to let us know what she wants by showing me or using the words she has. Acknowledging what she is saying even if she is just repeating what she hears usually breaks the repeating pattern she has been doing. I'm noticing it less.

I'm so happy I'm figuring it out. She's getting preschool and a specialized one at that (which I could never afford on my own). Diagnosis seems a little unimportant now. I think she'll catch up, it will just take time.

No comments:

Post a Comment