Monday, October 24, 2011

A Weekend of Unexpected Success!


This weekend was a very busy weekend for the family. We started adding and adding things to our list about two weeks ago. With all the stuff going on I wanted to share the successes we've had this weekend also. There has been a ton and not much had to do with Eden.

On Saturday, we had such a busy day. That does not mean it was a bad day at all. Just that we had a lot to do. Tanya had a football game to cheer at and Carly had the District Math Meet (5 towns all together) to go to. I took Tanya to her game and Ed took Carly to the math meet. It's something he has done with her since she started going to them in 5th grade. She was kind of disappointed that she didn't place last time, so she was a little nervous. The Math Meet is their thing. Mom isn't allowed. I'm the nervous parent waiting for a phone call and sending random texts to try and see if she is done or not. This is what happened:
Carly and her Awards!
Ok, so I may be a little proud, but really...who wouldn't be? Out of the three different sections she came in first in her grade level in Arithmetic and Problem Solving. To top it all off, she also came in first in her grade level "Overall" and got the plaque and she was beaming! I don't think she's every been more proud of herself. I am forever trying to teach my girls that they should not hide how smart they are. As long as they do their best I will always be proud of them.

That night there was a talent show at our church. The older girls had signed up for it about 2 weeks ago and both told me they wanted to perform. After talking Tanya out of doing a few things that were way beyond at two week practice talent show at church. She decided to sing a song she had learned at camp this past summer. Carly decided to play her flute. They had been practicing all week for this. I've been trying to teach them when they commit to something they have to do it. Not just say they will do something and then not prepare.

When we got to church that evening, Carly was fine and has never had any issue being in front of people other than the "normal" don't fall on you face stuff. On the other hand, just as we were pulling into the parking lot, Tanya almost went into a panic attack. She almost wouldn't get out of the car. I got her into the church and up to where they were going to perform and there were others there. The director of the children's choir was there and I told her she needed to talk to Tanya so that she wouldn't freeze up on stage or not perform at all. She talked to her for a few minutes and made her feel a little better about getting up in front of the people. Most of all, I wanted this to be a wonderful experience for her to gain confidence in herself and her abilities.

Carly performed first and did a beautiful job. When it was Tanya's turn I was so scared for her. She was so nervous you could see her hands shaking. Then she just started singing. She made a little mistake, and just went on. She had a lot of trouble reading off the music and started using her finger to find her way through the lines on the paper. She came down after a wonderful applause with the biggest smile from ear to ear. I was so very proud of her that moment. I knew that she was scared and she had done it anyways. 

Tanya apple picking, but I love that smile!
I'm so happy, that both of my girls accomplished some proud mommy moments as I like to call them. It's what I use as payment for my job well done because it's just wrong to ask for "real" money! I love the fact that we can challenge the girls with stuff like this. I always strive to have them work a little out of their comfort zone and help them work through it. They amaze me how they just always take what is given and do their very best every time. It's in their blood, between Ed and I, they are going to be wonderful, smart, happy and thriving adults. They are certainly doing a great job so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment